Food Safety

How to report suspected foodborne illnesses to authorities

Photo Mix via Pixabay

Regulators say that if you believe you could have food poisoning or are having an allergic reaction to any food, you should call your doctor, seek immediate medical care or call 911. If you believe the source is a particular food item you bought at a store or ate at a restaurant, you should contact your city or county health department. This can help officials connect the dots if there are other reports of illnesses and help authorities determine whether a food recall or alert should be issued.

You can also report problems to:

Food (Except Meat, Poultry or Processed Egg Products)
Phone the FDA Main Emergency Number at 866-300-4374 or phone the Consumer Complaint Coordinator for your state or area.
Get help with Food, Dietary Supplements, and Cosmetics questions.

Meat, Poultry, or Processed Egg Products
Phone the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) or report the complaint online.
For details, see Problems with Food Products (USDA).

How to Report a Pet Food Complaint (FDA)
Guidelines for reporting problems with pet food and animal feed.

Restaurant Food
Call the health department in your city, county, or state. Find contact information on your State or Territorial Health Department Website.

For more information, go to ‘s website for reporting issues with food.

See the Campaign

Show More