CALPIRG Education Fund
The StudentVote Online Tool
The CALPIRG StudentVote Online tool is built by Rock the Vote. This technology has been extensively tested and used by Rock the Vote throughout multiple primary cycles and election years with over 3 million users. This version of the tool however, is built specifically with college students and college campuses in mind. This tool can be placed on any university website or embedded in a link or a graphic of the university’s choosing. The tool’s color and branding can be fully customized such that the tool integrates into the college’s overall web look, and because the tool keeps people at the same website, it doesn’t distract students from their primary activities with the university.
Starting this year, the online tool will synch up with the California Secretary of State’s office, and as soon as online voter registration is active there, our tool will be updated to allow students to register to vote online instantaneously.
The online tool is available in both English and Spanish. The interface features a step-by- step wizard which guides the user through the process, adjusting itself for state-specific required information.
Why should you use this tool?
- It Works. We’ve used the technology since 2008. In 2008 more than 30,000 students downloaded a form with our tool. Rock the Vote has found the 2/3 of the people who complete the form online end up on the voting rolls.
- It’s easy. Students click on the button, complete the form that is displayed on the screen, and click again. Done. A completed registration form will then appear in the students email inbox. Starting in August, the registration will be instantaneous with the Secretary of State’s office. Until then, students can print, sign and mail in the form.
- Colleges can track and control the online tool to fit their vote program. Colleges can customize the color and branding of the tool to match their online presence, the button for the tool can be made to blend seamlessly with the universities own website.
- Tell-a-friend feature creates multiplier effect. Registrants get the option to pass the tool on to a friend. Students are more likely to register and vote when asked by a friend. Using the tool creates a multiplier effect that increases your campus registration rates.
- A powerful tool for increasing voter turnout. Since the tool compiles contact information of students who register it en- ables campuses to follow up with the person-to-person voting reminders before Election Day through phone calls, canvassing and text messaging. Over a decade of research by social scientists has conclusively found that these techniques increase youth voter turnout. The tool does not compile private contact information, such as drivers’ license numbers, and only compiles contact information in states where it is legally permitted to do so. The tool is also run on a secure server to ensure that this personal information is always safe.
- It’s free. There are no fees or charges associated with hosting the online tool. It’s completely free!