OSPIRG is hiring a Campaign Associate to help lead our work to bring down the cost and increase the quality of health care in Oregon.
Politics is too often dominated by special interests. OSPIRG’s mission is to focus attention and action on the public interest.
We work on problems that affect everybody, not just one group or another. And we’ll work with anyone, Democrat, Republican or independent, who agrees with our positions and supports sensible solutions.
At OSPIRG, we focus on the quality of our lives, not the quantity of stuff we produce and consume. We aim to improve the quality of our health, our environment and our well-being.
People living in the United States have access to some of the best medical care in the world, from life-saving drugs, to advanced medical devices, to cutting edge-surgical techniques. But our system is seriously flawed, with costs spiraling out of control leaving many Americans to spend more on care and often receiving worse care than they could get in many other countries.
We can do better. We need to shift incentives away from providing treatment and toward the quality of health care outcomes. We have the knowledge to stop providing treatments that do not work and implement simple solutions that improve results. We must hold insurance companies accountable to ensure they are delivering on their commitments to members. And we must drive down the cost of prescription drugs.
That is why OSPIRG is the leading consumer group working to implement reforms to increase the value of health care for consumers like implementing a public option health plan to give Oregonians a lower cost, higher quality health insurance choice.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalog and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
Compensation and Benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $30,000-$32,000 in the first year. OSPIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis.
Things to know when you apply
OSPIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://jobs.uspirg.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
OSPIRG is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.