End the Nicotine Trap Campaign Associate
Boston, MA or Portland, ME
The Public Health team with PIRG is seeking a Campaign Associate to help lead our End the Nicotine Trap campaign.
The U.S. Surgeon General has declared e-cigarette use, commonly known as vaping, among young people an epidemic due to its popularity and health risks. One in 5 high schoolers reported vaping in 2018, a nearly 80 percent increase in one year. An entire generation is at risk of nicotine addiction, and millions of kids are already hooked on nicotine with serious implications for their health and future. Currently, the FDA is not doing enough to deal with this emerging crisis. So we are calling on the FDA to do two things. First, the sale of all flavored e-cigarettes, and other flavored tobacco products, should just be banned. The potential benefit to the adults who claim to be using these flavored e-cigarettes to quit smoking simply doesn’t outweigh the public health risk these products pose to America’s young people. Second, the FDA should pull e-cigarettes not yet reviewed off the market until they undergo the required public health review, and regulate e-cigarettes at least as tightly as we do combustible cigarettes.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Recruit new people to your team: Help build your team recruiting volunteers, interns and full-time staff.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $30,000- $31,500 in the first year. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
We’re also hiring campaign associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We have positions starting now and in August 2023. We accept applications on a rolling basis.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY
PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://pirg.org/core-values/ for things you should know about our network when you apply.
PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.