OSPIRG is seeking an advocate to join our team and lead our consumer protection and member engagement work. OSPIRG stands up to powerful interests whenever they threaten our health and safety, our financial security or our right to fully participate in our democratic society.
OSPIRG’s consumer advocate will lead our work to educate consumers how to protect themselves and their rights, end exploitative practices in the financial marketplace, and advocate for new rules, institutions and policies to defend consumers from the economic and political power of special interests. They will also engage our broad membership base at the local level by organizing neighborhood action teams in different parts of the state.
Specific priorities include:
Consumer advocacy: In past years, we have passed laws protecting student borrowers and closing loopholes in current laws against predatory lending. OSPIRG’s Consumer Advocate will oversee our advocacy on bills in the legislature like creating comprehensive data privacy protections for Oregonians and ending the use of credit scores in setting auto insurance rates. They will also coordinate with the Stop the Debt Trap Alliance, a key consumer coalition in Oregon.
Neighborhood Action Team Program: We are building a cadre of OSPIRG member activists who want to further engage on our campaigns. The Consumer Advocate will coordinate monthly Neighborhood Action Team meetings and keep members abreast of opportunities to take action.
Consumer Watchdog: No matter how well we plan, new opportunities always arise. The Consumer Advocate will be point on monitoring bills being introduced and discussed in the legislature related to consumer protection and weigh in with OSPIRG’s position.
- Coalition building: Build support around our mission in key constituencies at the state and local level
- Advocacy: Take our policies directly to key decision-makers in Salem, in Congress or wherever important decisions are being made.
- Media Outreach: Serve as the spokesperson for our campaigns through media events, press releases and opinion writing. Keep abreast of important consumer issues, raise the profile of our work in the media.
- Campaign strategy: Assess opportunities for building political support for our agenda through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media coverage and message development.
- Program development: Evaluate the research on the issue, create viable policy solutions and propose the right political strategy and messaging.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff and meet with major donors.
- Staff recruitment and development: Recruit new staff and volunteers. Oversee other program staff to develop and implement work plans; provide training and leadership development opportunities.
Candidates must have at least 3 years of relevant professional experience. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to citizen-based social change, as well as a track record of leadership, excellent judgment, discretion and significant project oversight. Experience working on waste, environmental or climate campaigns preferred.
We’re looking for people who are goal-driven and results-oriented, who have excellent verbal, written and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and driven to make positive policy change.
Compensation & benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $32,000-$40,000. OSPIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
OSPIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. You can learn more about our core values at https://pirg.org/core-values/
OSPIRG is an equal opportunity employer.