PIRG is hiring a Campaign Associate to help make sure our healthcare system delivers real value to consumers at an affordable cost.
The United States spends far too much on healthcare and gets far too little in return for each healthcare dollar. We live in a country with some of the best hospitals, health care professionals and medical technology in the world – but our health care system is riddled with perverse incentives that jack up costs for Americans without improving the quality of care.
Powerful health care industry lobbyists will fight these changes and work to preserve the status quo. The politics of health care has never been more divisive, despite the public cry for solutions to high costs of treatment and prescription drugs. But, for more than 40 years, PIRG has stood up to powerful interests whenever they threaten our health and safety, our financial security, or our right to fully participate in our democratic society. On health care, we recently won a landmark consumer protection law to protect patients from surprise medical bills, and we are working to stop drug companies from abusing patent law which is keeping lower cost medicines out of the hands of patients who need them.
Our High Value Health Care Associate will be responsible for campaigns to contain costs and improve care for Americans. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment and will oversee significant projects. Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
PIRG’s mission is to champion the public interest — to speak out for a healthier, safer world in which we’re freer to pursue our own individual well-being and the common good. The problems we address aren’t progressive or conservative, they’re just problems that our country shouldn’t tolerate in an age of great abundance and technological progress. And these problems affect all of us, whether we live in a blue state, red state or purple state. To solve them, we need to find common ground around commonsense ideas.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalog and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Recruit new people to your team: Help build your team recruiting volunteers, interns and full-time staff.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $31,000-$36,000 in the first year. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, commuter benefit program, 401(k) with employer match, paid time off and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY
PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://pirg.org/core-values/ to learn more before you apply.
PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.