CALPIRG is an advocate for the public interest. Every Californian wants a healthier, safer, more secure future, and CALPIRG’s mission is to bring people together and advocate for common sense solutions towards that better future and the common good.
The problems we work on aren’t progressive or conservative. They’re just problems that our country shouldn’t tolerate in an age of great abundance and technological progress. To solve them, we need to find common ground around commonsense ideas.
In the last decade we’ve run successful campaigns to reduce pollution from single-use plastic waste, protect public health from antibiotic resistance, protect our families from toxic chemicals in consumer products and drinking water, and improve public transportation.
Beyond Plastic: Nothing we use for a few minutes should harm our environment and communities for hundreds of years. CALPIRG is working to move our state beyond single-use plastics like plastic bags and foam takeout containers that we don’t truly need and produce harmful waste.
Clean air: We are also moving our state away from dirty energy that harms public health, both by transforming our transportation system with electric cars and buses, and moving more people to choose electric over gas stoves.
Other campaigns include our work to get the lead out of California’s schools, advocating for stronger consumer protections, and promoting the right to repair our stuff to reduce waste and save money.
- Program: Help implement our priority campaigns, participating in policy development, research and messaging.
- Coalition Building: Identify, reach out to and work with partners who can help us win our campaigns both through formal coalitions and informal alliances.
- Communications and Media Outreach: Generate strong earned media, opinion media, and owned media for our campaigns. You may serve as a public spokesperson for our campaigns through media events, press releases, editorial board meetings and other outreach, with a goal of building name recognition for the organization, educating the public about our issues and building and demonstrating support for our positions.
- Advocacy: Bring problems and solutions to the attention of decision-makers—including federal district office staff, state legislators, the Governor’s staff, state regulators and local officials. Develop appropriate messages and materials for making the case to decision makers; build relationships with key players.
- Research and write reports: If needed, you may help analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff and meet with large donors, all to bring more resources to our campaigns. Work with our citizen outreach staff to build and develop our grassroots membership base.
Candidates should have at least 2 years of relevant professional experience, have excellent judgment and discretion, and the ability to oversee significant projects. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to advancing the public interest and to transpartisan, citizen-based social change, as well as a track-record of leadership. We’re looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for our work.
Experience in state level political advocacy, grassroots organizing, fundraising is a bonus.
Compensation and Benefits
The starting compensation range is $32,000-$45,000 and depends on relevant experience and/or education. Candidates on the low end of directly relevant experience should expect to be on the lower end of this range; candidates on the higher end of relevant experience are likely to be on the higher end of this range. CALPIRG offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
Things to know when you apply
CALPIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
CALPIRG is an equal opportunity employer and will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.