CALPIRG is seeking a Campaign Associate to help lead our Beyond Plastic campaign.
Everyday, Californians throw away millions of single-use plastic containers, wrappers, packaging and other plastic “stuff.” The big problem with all that plastic is that it can take hundreds of years to fully degrade and the vast majority of it can’t be recycled. That means that almost every piece ever made is still out there piling up in our landfills, littering our streets, and polluting our environment.
CALPIRG’s Beyond Plastic campaign is working to eliminate the single-use plastics we’ve known for decades we can all live without.
We are seeking a Campaign Associate who will spearhead this campaign and work with our experienced team of advocates, researchers, and digital and communications experts.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Recruit new people to your team: Help build your team recruiting volunteers, interns and full-time staff.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
Pay & Benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $31,000- $32,000 in the first year. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Things to know when you apply
PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.
CALPIRG is an equal opportunity employer and will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.