Consumer Watchdog

Rechargeable lights danger: 1.2 million by Good Earth linked to 1 death, 10 cases of fire or overheating

12-inch lights popular for closets and cupboards were sold nationwide for 6 years

Courtesy of CPSC | Public Domain

More than 1.2 million rechargeable lights have been recalled after at least 10 fires or other incidents, including one person who died, the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced.

The Good Earth Lighting Inc. rechargeable integrated lights pose a risk of overheating, burns and fire. The 12-inch long lights were sold from October 2017 through January 2024 at hardware and home improvement stores nationwide, including Ace Hardware, Lowe’s, Meijer and Menards, and online at, Amazon, Lowes and QVC. They cost about $20 for a single light and about $35 for a two-pack. 

Consumers should stop using the lights immediately because their lithium-ion batteries can overheat and start burning the plastic casing. The products appeal to consumers who need light in an area such as a closet, cupboard or stairwell, where it may be more difficult to install hard-wired lights. 

Good Earth Lighting said it’s aware of one person who died after the light overheated and started a fire in their home in 2023. Another person in the home was treated for smoke inhalation. There are nine other reports of the lights overheating; six of those led to fires and property damage.

The Mount Prospect, Ill. company is offering customers a replacement light of equal or lesser value.

Having difficulty getting a refund or resolution
for any recalled product?
File a complaint with the CPSC

Did you encounter an injury or other incident involving a consumer product? Tell the CPSC at

To keyword search products with recalls or complaints, go to and

See the Campaign

Show More