CALPIRG is hiring an experienced and passionate advocate to speak out for the public and stand up to special interests on problems that affect the public’s health, safety and wellbeing. Work with our team of advocates, researchers, and organizers to campaign for policies that reduce plastic waste, protect the public from toxic chemicals, clean up our air, and more.
Current CALPIRG Priorities
- Beyond Plastic: Nothing we use for a few minutes should harm our environment and communities for hundreds of years. CALPIRG is working to move our state beyond single-use plastics like plastic bags and foam takeout containers that we don’t truly need and produce harmful waste.
- Clean air: We are also moving our state away from dirty energy that harms public health. We’re working to transform our transportation system with electric cars and buses, and help more people choose electric stoves over gas.
- Other campaigns include our work to get the lead out of California’s schools, advocating for stronger consumer protections, and promoting the right to repair our stuff so we can reduce waste and save consumers money.
The Legislative Advocate will represent CALPIRG and advance our strategy in the California State Capitol and key agencies. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment in making decisions in matters of significance. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Program: Help develop and implement our priority campaigns, participating in policy development, research and messaging.
- Coalition Building: Identify, reach out to and work with partners who can help us win our campaigns both through formal coalitions and informal alliances, including unlikely allies who might agree with us on one issue, even if we disagree on other issues.
- Communications and Media Outreach: Generate strong earned media, opinion media, and social media for our campaigns. You may serve as a public spokesperson for our campaigns through media events, press releases, editorial board meetings and other outreach, with a goal of building name recognition for the organization, educating the public about our issues and building and demonstrating support for our positions.
- Advocacy: Bring problems and solutions to the attention of decision-makers—including federal district office staff, state legislators, the Governor’s staff, state regulators and local officials. Develop appropriate messages and materials for making the case to decision makers; build relationships with key players.
- Research and write reports: If needed, you may help analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff and meet with large donors, all to bring more resources to our campaigns. Work with our citizen outreach staff to build and develop our grassroots membership base.
Candidates should have at least 2 years of relevant professional experience. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to advancing the public interest and to transpartisan, citizen-based social change, as well as a track-record of leadership. We’re looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for our work.
Experience in state level political advocacy, grassroots organizing, fundraising is a bonus.
CALPIRG is an advocate for the public interest. We speak out for the public and stand up to special interests on problems that affect the public’s health, safety and wellbeing. With a strong network of researchers, advocates, organizers and students in state capitals across the country, we take on special interests on issues such as product safety, public health, environmental threats and consumer protection, wherever those interests stand in the way of reform and progress.
Compensation and Benefits
The starting compensation range for this position is $35,000-$45,000 and depends on relevant experience, education, and location. Candidates on the lower end of directly relevant experience should expect to be on the lower end of this range; candidates on the higher end of relevant experience are likely to be on the higher end of this range. CALPIRG offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, paid time off, our commuter benefit program, a 401(k) plan with employer match, parental leave, long term disability insurance, and may include needs-based student loan assistance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Our Mission and Values
Why work with CALPIRG? Check out 10 reasons: https://pirg.org/why-work-with-us/
CALPIRG Is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://pirg.org/core-values for things you should know about our network when you apply.
CALPIRG is an equal opportunity employer and will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.