CALPIRG Education Fund Launches Project to Bring Facts and Tips to 100,000 College Students Across California
CALPIRG Education Fund
Sacramento, CA- With the main parts of the Affordable Care Act now going into effect, CALPIRG Education Fund has launched a statewide education campaign reaching out to students with facts about the changes, and tips to help them find the right coverage for themselves.
“Students have lots of questions about health insurance,” said Austin Price, field director with CALPIRG, “that’s why we’re sharing these tips to help students find good insurance that won’t break the bank.”
CALPIRG Education Fund held six events at University of California campuses across the state to release the new guide, So You Need Health Insurance. Now What? California Health Insurance 101.
“Many of us are uninsured, or will lose our current coverage pretty soon, but dont know what to do next,” said Donna Favard, a senior at UC Davis. “We’ll lose our family coverage when we turn 26, or we’ll graduate and have to get off the student health plan. We need facts and information so we can make good decisions.”
Beginning January 1, 2014, most Americans will be required to have insurance coverage or pay a fee. On October 1, Covered California opened for Californians looking for health insurance. By visiting Covered California’s website at www.coveredca.com, consumers can compare different insurance plans apples to apples, and find out about financial help they may qualify for to help lower their premiums and out-of-pocket costs.
Vincent Hennerty recently graduated from UCLA and is uninsured and looking forward to checking out the options at Covered California. “It will be good to be able to go to one website and look at all my options, an find out about the financial help I might get,” he said.
CALPIRG Education Fund’s top tips for students include:
1. Look into ongoing options such as staying on your parents’ plan until you turn 26, or enrolling in the student health plan.
2. Check out new options at Covered California online at www.coveredca.com or by phone at 1-800-300-1506. Plans listed there cover preventative care, hospitalizations, office visits, prescriptions, and more.
3. Find out about financial help that’s available when you apply at Covered California.
4. Compare plans side-by-side, in plain language at Covered California.
5. Don’t let insurance companies turn you away if you have a pre-existing condition.
6. Get expert help comparing insurance plans and signing up online, by phone or in-person. Connect with specially trained people who can help you at Covered California.
7. Find out more in the online guide, So You Need Health Insurance. Now What? California Health Insurance 101, at www.calpirgedfund.org.
8. Get involved in the campaign as a volunteer or intern to help get the word out on campus. Find out more at www.calpirgstudents.org.
CALPIRG Education Fund works to protect consumers and promote good government. We investigate problems, craft solutions, educate the public, and offer meaningful opportunities for civic participation. Visit us at www.calpirgedfund.org.